Lis is inspired and sharing with us .....
Fusing Glass
in a Kiln
This summer
I visited my artist friend, Deb Kirk, [Deb was on our Tour for many years] who moved to Prince Edward County. While there we went to several glass and
pottery studios. Of course, I had to buy
some glass art for myself! One of the
pieces really intrigued me – it had bubbles created by adding a metallic oxide
between the two clear glass pieces.
So I wanted
to do this technique for myself. Here’s
the process I go through in making a glass plate, first cutting the glass. (This also gives you a small glance into my
studio.)
After I’ve
cut the various pieces, I added the powdered metallic oxides to two pieces of
clear glass – in this case, both copper and cobalt. Whenever handling powdered chemicals or
glass, one needs to wear a respirator for safety.
Then the
first firing. WOW! I love the bubbles it created!
For the
second firing I put the clear glass piece onto a white glass base and put it
into the kiln.
The final
firing will be to slump the piece into a plate with the edges curled up.
Come to the studio tour to see the final
result!
Lis is at Studio #13 Sandra Cole Burke's Studio location




No comments:
Post a Comment